Tobacco has serious oral health consequences. It can lead to decay, tooth loss, and oral cancer. Smoking and chew tobacco are hard addictions to break. Your dentist is available to discuss options and assist you in quitting.
Possible oral health impacts of smoking and all tobacco products include:
- stained teeth and tongue
- bad breath
- dulled sense of taste and smell
- slow healing after a tooth extraction or other surgery
- difficulties in correcting cosmetic dental problems
- gum disease
- oral cancer ( Learn more at: ADA website)
Interested in Quitting…We are ready to help!
- Muskegon County’s KnowSmoke Coalition:
- This great programs works to educate on hazards of smoking and helps clients to remove barriers to smoking.
- Smoke Free for Two: Learn the dangers of smoking while pregnant, how to manage smoking, and how to quit for good. Complete all four sessions and receive a FREE diaper bag filled with over $300 of items for your baby.
- Freedom from Smoking Class
- Another class, Freedom From Smoking, is also available for those who are ready to quit. There is a small fee for this class. This is a four-week program. To sign-up call Cyndi Powers at (231) 672-3211 or Amy Forward at (231) 728-5180 ext. 101.
- Access Health conducts Tobacco Cessation Classes every month.
- This class is offered at no cost to Access Health, Muskegon Care members and other adult smokers living in their home. For community members who would like to attend, a volunteer opportunity is available for them to be scheduled for an upcoming 4 week session. For more information, call (231) 766-7101
- Michigan Tobacco Quit Line
- 1-800-QUIT-NOW : Offer FREE support to those who are opening to quitting, help set quit dates, and if you’re interested will call you to check in to see how you are doing.